Saturday, October 30, 2010

Color work and Cover ups

   Since Tuesdays blog, the week has been very eventful. We had our second meeting with Evil Don on Wednesday. During the meeting we decided on a schedule of meetings to come (essentially because the client is serious about using the site once we are done. Score!). The group decided a pop in meeting once a week or so would push us along the process and keep our client up to date. I realize working so closely with a client may result in a client heavy design but our group was extremely lucky to one find another artist and two one that trusts us so much. During the meeting we also presented our creative brief explaining our goal for the site design, as well as a list of asset pages that could be possibly utilized as the pages. Our meeting certainly got the ball rolling, it was decided that we would focus on the following pages: home, about (shop/artist), fine art gallery, skin gallery, and a contact page (including shop hours locations, and appointment scheduling). 
   Beyond the logistics of the site, we discussed the treatment of the Evil Don brand. His business card and logo are reminiscent or a retro 50's marquee sign but the card is done in inked outlines. We discussed with him a color scheme to place within the site design. Black, silver, and red will be the defining colors in an attempt to capture the environment of his shop. We discussed briefly a possible theme proposal for the site in which the Evil Don logo would retain its marquee appearance and the navigation bar would be added to the signage system, running along the left side of the page. The client seemed enthusiastic about the proposal and spend time showing us around his shop giving us a chance to get to know his style. 
   After our meeting it was required to submit a list of group jobs and the job specifications. Upon sending this email as the project manager, it was decided that we would switch the positions of Chelsey and Chris. Chris will now be Information architect, and in control of managing the site diagram, while Chelsey, will be Asset manager managing the multiple file types we will be working with. This decision came after re-reading the job specifications and receiving some initial files from our client. Don has provided us with some of his tattoo work and expressed the need to have more photos taken. Chelsey will play an important role in managing and gathering the image files needed for the site.
   This week a focus will be put on gathering what we have done thus far and presenting it to Phil on Tuesday for critiques as well as submitting a more polished site layout for our client to see. Specific jobs will be:
Project Manager: Gathering the creative brief, site diagram, and asset list. Scheduling a Wednesday meeting with Don.
Information Architect: Mock up of home page and initial site diagram. Mock up of logo treatments.
Asset Manager: Finalizing asset list. Gathering color swatches and secondary type proposals. Researching alternative light box galleries.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Jenessa! Your blog is so descriptive and informative... I enjoyed it a lot. I also think your group will have a fun time playing off the retro theme. The black, silver and red is a very dramatic color scheme and should play will with the site design.

    It would be really cool if the appointment scheduling actually synced with his availability and people could make real appointments online. An example of what I was thinking of would be the appointment scheduler we can use when trying to meet with our advisors. It might be a little difficult but would be very advanced and professional. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, your client already has a sweet Business Card. I think you should check out House Industries website and if you can check out there old retro illustrations. It makes references to old hotrods and white trash biker aesthetic. While this may not define your client I think it can lead to some awesome inspiration.

    Our group is also using the once a week meeting to not only push our project further but to also keep us on schedule and to not fall behind. By promising progress to our client I am hoping it will keep us motivated to make consistent progress.

    Keep up the swell work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, this sounds sweet! I like the retro branding style, I'm sure you guys will have a lot of fun working with it. The idea of having a fine art gallery in addition to the skin gallery is something I wouldn't have thought of right away, but it totally makes sense. Is it common for tattoo artists to have a traditional art portfolio to show clients too? It also seems like you guys are totally on track and organized, sounds like its totally professional! Wheee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you guys have been busy! I love their business card and I'm glad it's being incorporated into the website!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the art gallery is a great idea, my friend own red letter in ybor and they always have gallery shows there, it also brings in a lot of business. I like the image so far, very 1960s vegas.

    ReplyDelete